2009. aug. 12.

Leaving

So, I'm just finishing up packing and getting everything together to leave.

I'm really excited to go, because I love traveling and learning new languages and cultures, and I get to do some awesome math at the same time. Yet I am also feeling very stressed and although I know people are trying to help, I am completely fed up with people giving me advice on how to travel the day before I leave.

It is frustrating because I've been looking and checking for months on what to do and what not to do, plus most of those giving me advice have travelled far less than I have, and seem shocked when I tell them that I am traveling alone. Also, I can't do much about most things because it is simply not possible with the short amount of time that I have left, rather the advice would have been better appreciated and possible to follow if it had been given even a few weeks ago.

But still, I know people mean well.

This is such a unique experience, there are pluses and minuses in all different areas.

Traveling, by myself.
Okay, so I know I have travelled overseas several times and I am very comfortable with this. Yet this is the first time that I am traveling completely by myself. It is a step towards independency that I am well prepared for, yet is still a huge leap.

Math.
I get to learn amazing math that I wouldn't have the opportunity to learn back at Knox, with awesome professors and a whole group of people excited enough about math to want to take nearly solely that for a whole semester. Everyone keeps asking what classes I am taking, and I have no idea, which is slightly stressful. But I don't have to commit to any class before I try it out. These classes might be super hard, or relatively easy, I really have no idea.

Language and Culture.
I am going to a country where I don't speak the language nor do I have anyone traveling with me who does. I will be living with a family who will probably know close to no English at all. And even through all of this, I know I will be fine. Staying at a host family in Ukraine has shown me that a lot can be transmitted even if the language is lacking.
Also, I will be living in a whole new culture with customs and taboos that I am unfamiliar with. One of my biggest fears, just in general, is offending people and disrespecting them. This is guaranteed to happen at some point due to the circumstance, and I just have to get over it.

Food
So the Hungarian diet consists primarily of pork and other meat, potatoes, and lots of paprika spice. For those who know me well, this is obviously not the food that I prefer. So it will be interesting to find enough food that I am not starving and yet also not offending people with my food choices, as was often the case when I travelled to France.
A good thing about food is that Hungarians love their cake, which I also love, so dessert-wise, I will be doing just fine.
And with alcohol, it will be interesting to say the least. Hungary is well known for their sweet dessert wine, yet the reason that this wine is sweet if because it was left on the vine for so long that it molds. And the other traditional Hungarian drink is called Unicum, which is an herbal bitter that supposedly tastes like rotten vegetables. Don't those sound appetizing?

Photo stuff
I have a ton of photo stuff and I am bringing 3 different cameras. Budapest is a beautiful city that I am thrilled I will be spending such a long time to enjoy and photograph. Yet traveling with film is not fun. If the film is run through the x-rays too much it is damaged, and many airports don't respect the request for a hand check to prevent the film from going through the machines. Plus it is one more thing to handle while going through security besides liquids, computers and taking off shoes. Basically a lot of juggling.


So, overall, I am very excited, but not without my hesitations.

And I will hopefully post tomorrow afternoon.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése